Skip to main content

I Believe in Santa Claus

It was eight o’clock when the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it,” I called to Scott, who was otherwise occupied with carting in armful after armful of holiday loot from the car and dumping it under the artificial fir tree in our foyer. 

This brief sojourn at home was the midpoint in our annual Christmas Eve tour of gorging and gifting. Having finished a traditional holiday dinner at my mom’s, we’d stopped at the house just long enough to unload the current batch of presents and let the dog out before hopping back into the car for the next round of merriment at my sister’s. 

I opened the door and there, on our front porch, stood Santa Claus, flanked by a sullen pair of teenagers in green and red elf hats who were clearly mortified to be spending the night before Christmas trailing their dressed-up dad as he canvassed the neighborhood for young believers. 

He must have been a neighbor, but I didn’t recognize the face under the beard and—I’ve got to admit—I felt a little bit sorry for the unwilling elves. Don’t get me wrong, it was sweet that the dad still wanted to play Santa, but the kids had obviously outgrown the bit. His refusal to retire the red suit smacked of desperation—a last-ditch effort to reclaim their youth.   

Four-year-old Sammy, who’d followed me to the door, was speechless. 
   
“Who do we have here?” asked Santa, giving me a wink. The elves sniggered and rolled their eyes, certain that this question gave away the fact that he was not, indeed, the real Santa.  They were too old, too cool, to remember the way faith trumped reason in favor of the jolly old elf.

“This is Sammy,” I answered, nudging her forward.

Santa let out a chortle so hearty it made the elves cringe. “Sammy, have you been a good little girl this year?”

Sammy nodded her blonde head, still too shy to speak. “You have,” Santa agreed. “Your name is on my nice list.”

Nice? Buddy, I wanted to say, you don’t know the half of it. In May, when a suspicious-looking mammogram had turned up an unthinkable diagnosis, I’d sat down with Sammy to explain that some cells in my breast weren’t growing the way they were supposed to and that those naughty cells would need to be surgically removed. 

Her concern had not been for herself, but for me. "But that will hurt you!” she’d said indignantly, patting my beleaguered breast sympathetically to make her point. 

In the months that followed, endless dragged-out weeks between diagnosis and testing and surgery, and doctor visits and more surgery, Sammy had been my cheerleader. 

“Mommy,” she’d said, as if saying it out loud would make it come true, “you have to be brave and I have to be brave.” 

And brave she’d been—coping with my inability to lift her after my surgeries, tolerating the tiredness that prevented me from doing much more than watching television, and playing along with my pretense that cancer was a perfectly natural part of everyday life. Not once had she complained that it wasn’t fair or that she deserved better. She’d borne it all, every last aching minute, with grace.  

That’s not to say she’d been angelic. There had been tantrums with wild, flailing arms and legs, angry moments when she’d collapsed into a heap on the floor and pretended to be a rock, times where she’d taken advantage of my exhaustion by engaging in activities that she knew were prohibited. But those moments were to be expected when cancer barged into a pre-school life and made itself at home in the living room.  

And though she was still plagued by intermittent bouts of separation anxiety and had taken to nocturnal wandering that generally ended with her falling back to sleep in the middle of our bed—that is, when she was able to sneak in without waking us—for the most part, she was a typical four-year-old, full of wonder and independence and joy.   

Santa directed his next question at me. “Would you like me to come in for a picture?”

My response was ill-advised and immediate. “Yes, please!”

I led Santa and the elves inside, past Scott and the Christmas tree and piles of presents in the foyer to the fireplace in our family room. Santa arranged himself on the hearth and motioned for Sammy to join him. The ever-more-embarrassed elves slouched into the corner and tried to blend in with the wall.

“What are you doing?” Scott hissed as I rummaged in my purse for the camera. “We don’t even know this guy!  He could be here to rob us.”

“Oh, come on,” I whispered back, hoping that the elves wouldn’t overhear. “Would a robber bring his kids with him? It’s Christmas. He’s just a guy who wants to make little kids happy.”
 
But even as I said it, I knew Scott was right. It was the oldest trick in the book—the criminal disguised as Kris Kringle. Our Santa could have been a pedophile, a mugger, a murderer, and I’d invited him in, all in the name of a cheap red suit and the fact that it was Christmas Eve.

Sammy clambered onto Santa’s lap. “Say cheese,” I said, raising the camera to capture the moment (or evidence, if needed.) The discomfited elves gave their bells a half-hearted shake, their pointy hats tipping precariously off their heads, as Santa let out another jovial, “Ho!  Ho!  Ho!”

Sammy responded with a smile so bright it rivaled the moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow or the star that led shepherds to a stable in Bethlehem; a radiant beam that brimmed with the bliss of every holiday miracle ever granted, every precious package tied up with a bow and placed under a tinsel-trimmed tree, every choir of angels that ever raised a song of praise. 

Gone was the cloud of cancer that had hung over our house for the better part of a year, gone was the agonizing worry about survival and recurrence and what it could mean for our future. It was Christmas Eve and Santa Claus had, by divine providence or plain old luck, materialized in front of our chimney to fill not the stockings, but our hearts.  

I snapped the photo that would become the foundation of Sammy’s childhood holiday belief system, the linchpin in her defense of Santa.

“Mom,” she’d say, when her classmates started making noise about Christmas conspiracies and the sham of Santa Claus, “my friends say that Santa Claus isn’t real. But that’s because they’ve never met him! I met him, the real Santa, that Christmas when he came to our house.” 

And I would remember the stranger in the red suit who showed up at our door, a one-man bandwagon of goodness and kindness, and have no choice but to agree.  

“Well, we probably should be going,” Santa said, and the magic was broken. He eased Sammy off his lap and stood up, stamping his black boots to get the blood flowing. “Rudolph gets worried if we take too long.” 

Sammy flung her arms around his legs in a final hug. The elves jingled their bells and, cracking the slightest of grins, offered her a candy cane. I blinked back tears and tried to thank the Christmas crew for stopping by, though I was unable to summon words that did my gratitude justice.

We followed Santa and the elves as far as the porch. I put an arm around Sammy, pulled her close to ward off the cold, and together we waved and watched Santa tramp purposefully down the length of the driveway, the elves ten paces behind, until they reached the gaudily lit displays of plastic mangers and fake reindeer that lined our street and disappeared into the inky night.


Late that night, long after Sammy had been tucked into bed and Santa’s load had been delivered to our tree and all that remained of the cookies and milk left on the mantel was a plateful of crumbs, as I lay awake pondering the mystery of our visitors, I couldn’t help but marvel at what Santa Claus had been teaching those teenagers, even if they weren’t quite ready to learn it, a life lesson in the feel-good power of selfless service. 

And when I considered the serendipity of his timing—the fact that he magically appeared at our door not only in the five minutes that we happened to be at home, but in the year that we needed him most, to restore our faith and pay hope forward—I could come to only one conclusion. 

Our Santa was the real deal. 

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the