Skip to main content

Going Solo

I miss my right breast. There, I said it. It’s not often that I allow myself that luxury. It’s been nearly twelve years since I had it. My late breast was warm and soft, lovely really, even if it was a shave smaller than its mate, and parting with it saddened me deeply.

I could say that I lost my breast, but that would imply that there was some remote possibility of getting it back. It’s more accurate to say that I removed it for medical reasons, and replaced it for cosmetic ones.

If I had known how much the laborious process of reconstruction would hurt, I would have taken a pass on the effort. When the plastic surgeon explained the process of stretching that would precede placement of the actual implant, it did not occur to me that post-surgical skin might rebel against this strain on its capacity.

However, once you’ve committed to the risk, you need to see it through to the reward, which is exactly what I did. I tolerated the pain for the eventual trophy—a cohesive silicone gel implant which was impervious to both gravity and heat, and maintained its unnatural lift and perpetually cool temperature throughout the rigorous tests of real life.

Laura J. Schubert
This is a silicone gel implant. I'm assuming that mine was similar. 
I didn’t hate my gummi-boob, but I didn’t love it either. It turns out that flawless replication of an original is nearly impossible. Had I been willing to alter my still-natural left breast, I might have been able to salvage some self-confidence, but I was unwilling to mess with my God-given A-cup masterpiece, which hampered the plastic surgeon’s best attempt at perfection.

No matter. I hiked up the left strap on all of my bras and made it work…until the biopsy of the line of lumps extending from my implant into my armpit came back positive for cancer seven years later. Goodbye, gummi-breast. Hello, Flat Stanley.

My surgeon held out hope that the deconstruction would be temporary and could be followed by a second reconstruction. He knew my plastic surgeon well and assured me that as they’d discussed my case, rebuilding remained a viable option.

Their renovation blueprints never made it off the shelf. Cutting out the cancer necessitated the removal of twelve square inches of skin on my chest, leaving barely enough tissue to cover my rib cage. Radiation treatment sucked the remaining elasticity out of my already-stretched-too-thin skin, sealing off the possibility for expansion.

Since then, I’ve lived a single-breasted life. Over the years I’ve purchased a couple of prosthetic slabs that can be tucked into the pocket of a mastectomy bra or swimsuit, but creating the illusion of symmetry involves such a complex system of levers and pulleys that it’s not usually worth my effort.

As my surgeon sliced away at the malignancies on my chest, he did manage to spare the rosy nub of my reconstructed nipple as a souvenir. The indelible ink of medical tattooing that gave it color has weathered into a neutral flesh tone, so it now looks more like an over-sized skin tag than an actual nipple. No matter.

It is the only souvenir I’ve got, this badge of honor that winks at me in the mirror when I get out of the shower. It provides a persistent visual reminder that I am more than my appearance.

I am a warrior. I’ve got the scars to prove it.




Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the