Skip to main content

Pro-life or Pro-choice?

A good many people view the world through an either-or, black-and-white lens. This is particularly true on polarizing issues like late-term abortion.

My decision to carry my broken unborn daughter to term probably paints me as a staunch pro-lifer—which I am, I guess, in the small realm that is my own body.

However, when asked where I stand on the issue of abortion, my answer is not so simple. I firmly believe that human life is sacred. I also recognize our societal tendency to marginalize the elderly and the infirm, the physically and cognitively disabled, the poor and the homeless—and pretty much anyone else whose appearance makes us uncomfortable.

I find it curious (and repulsive) that the overeager lawmakers who are so zealous in their protection of the rights of the unborn are able to cut their commitment to those babies as soon as they exit the birth canal. Their legislative concern for the health and welfare of the permanently and profoundly disabled child dries up and falls off in roughly the amount of time it takes the umbilical stump to do the same.

In the critical circumstances of a fatal prenatal diagnosis, I decided to carry on. I knew that my body was keeping my daughter alive. Unconditional love and the safe haven of my womb were the meager gifts I had to offer her. My choice between the rock and the hard place—which I made free of coercion or the intrusion of law—embodied every ounce of desperation you might expect at being stuck in such a predicament.

I made the only decision that I could make in that moment. That does not give me the right to make it for someone else. Nor does it give me the right to skewer someone for choosing a different path.

The truth is you never know what you’ll do in any given situation until you find yourself in that position. It’s easy to imagine how you’d handle it. But until you are tested, it’s impossible to know for sure.

I was blessed with an education and a background of religious belief that grounded my thoughts and informed my reasoning. I was surrounded by family and friends who were willing to face the inevitable with me. I had adequate health insurance and the financial means to fund the outcome of my choice.

Would I have made the same choice if my doctor had convinced me that my baby would suffer if I carried her to term? Or if doing so would have left my family mired in a sinkhole of debt? Or if my spouse had threatened a divorce should I continue the pregnancy?

I’d like to say yes. I’d like to believe that I would have made the exact same string of choices, but I will never know for sure.

In a case like mine, there are myriad variables that exert considerable influence throughout the decision-making process: the health of the baby, the health of the mother, the father’s opinion, the doctor’s bias on the issue, and the level of social support available to the family, to name a few.

Any one of these has the potential to cast the swing vote that changes an imagined outcome. And unless you are the hapless person at the center of the maelstrom, you have no right to judge.

Wherever you stand on the issue of late-term abortion, consider the grief-stricken parents caught in the middle. Feel the fear and anger and sorrow that color their future. Acknowledge their anguish.

And be grateful that the consequences of that unenviable position are not yours to bear.

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the