Skip to main content

Reflections on Chemotherapy

When I began chemo five years ago, my oncologist told me that her goal was that I would get through treatment and say, "That wasn't as bad as I expected it to be."

Chemotherapy is a systemic treatment meant to kill cancer cells, but it does not discriminate between cancer cells and other fast-growing cells, which is why it changes blood counts, disrupts hair and nail growth, and causes mouth sores. 

My chemo regimen began with four rounds of dose-dense Adriamycin (also known as the “red devil” because of its coloring) and Cytoxan, administered at two week intervals. The Cytoxan was infused by IV, but the vial of Adriamycin was shot directly into a vein. Each infusion lasted about two hours.

Adriamycin causes hair loss within two or three weeks of the first dose. My oncologist cautioned that hair loss was imminent, and like clockwork, the first tufts came out in my hand the day before my second dose. It was the strangest thing—one day my hair felt like hair, the next, it was brittle and dead.

I lost the rest of my hair over the course of treatment—eyebrows, lashes, body hair—all but a few stray strands that managed to stay attached to my scalp. I discovered that I had a tanned triangle of freckled skin in the area where I used to part my hair.

My scalp itched and burned like it was ablaze. Dandruff shampoo and self-massage with jojoba oil soothed it some. It also had a surprising number of sweat glands in it, a fact that I quickly realized when, unfettered by the working hair follicles that had always mopped up, I found streams of saltwater running down my face and neck in the summer heat.

Adriamycin is known for its nausea-provoking effects. My premeds (infused just prior to the chemotherapy) included a potent anti-nausea drug, Emend, which was also taken by mouth for the first two days after chemo. I also had Compazine pills to take as needed to manage nausea, but I’m happy to report that I only needed to use them twice. The rest of the time I was able to control my stomach upset with home remedies like seasickness bands and crystallized ginger.

I gained a minimum of four to six pounds immediately after treatment, likely from the steroids that were part of my premeds, and the puffiness didn’t dissipate until the following week. It was annoying but livable, as was the chronic fatigue that made naps a part of my daily routine.

Another major side effect, this one caused by Cytoxan, was a perpetual metallic taste in my mouth. All sugary treats tasted sickly-sweet and were enough to induce nausea. The lining of my mouth was easily irritated, so I had to avoid even mildly spicy foods. I also had to change mouthwashes. I found that Therabreath, an alcohol-free rinse made with straight peppermint oil, was the only one that didn’t make me gag.

By my fourth dose of the Adriamycin/Cytoxan cocktail, the mere thought of the infusion was enough to make me retch. I was more than ready to be done with it. I’d entered menopause, suffered a cold sore that took three weeks and an anti-viral medicine to heal it, developed heartburn so severe that it required a prescription-level antacid, and started regular use of an inhaler to manage shortness of breath.

I switched to another drug—Taxol—for my remaining four treatments. Also infused at two week intervals, Taxol had the potential to cause an allergic reaction, so every infusion was preceded by a shot of Benadryl in the IV. The Benadryl left me loopy, which was fine because the IV had to drip very slowly to minimize allergic potential. Each Taxol infusion took three to four hours, which gave me time to sleep off the Benadryl.

The beauty of Taxol was that it didn’t turn my stomach, so I no longer needed the anti-nausea meds. The trade-off for this reprieve was that I now had to contend with neuropathy, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. It wasn’t too bad after the first infusion, but grew increasingly worse over the course of treatment.

I also experienced one of Taxol’s less common side effects—intense bone and joint pain. It began on the day after treatment and lasted for a full week. The pain began at an excruciating, screaming level and gradually wore down to a dull ache as the week went on. Pain meds barely made a dent. The treatments I found most effective in providing relief were gentle forms of exercise like walking and swimming, and good long soaks in a hot tub.

Most of the side effects are now a distant memory. My hair came back brown and shiny in shade that suits me. I have a handful of grays, but honestly, they don’t bother me in the least. Texture-wise, it’s still thick and fine, and it frizzes in humidity just the way my previous hair did. It did come back curly, but adding some length to it straightened out the kinks.

I have full sets of brows and lashes again, though the lashes are sparser than I remember. The dark chemo rings in my nails gradually grew out in the year after treatment. It took a bit longer for my mouth to return to normal, and I still have to avoid mouthwash with alcohol and overly spicy foods to minimize sensitivity.

I have lingering neuropathy in my fingers and toes. It comes and goes, but makes running and walking trickier because I don’t always feel where my feet are and have a tendency to trip on uneven pavement.

I’m also troubled by a touch of chemo-brain, which mostly affects my language skills (I lose nouns with frequency and my train of thought goes off the rails with regularity) and my short-term memory (multi-tasking is a thing of the past and I now have to write everything down).

But, as I approach the five year anniversary of my final infusion, I can't complain. Though chemo definitely posed its share of physical and mental challenges, it was--overall--endurable.


And you know what? My oncologist was right. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.   

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the