Skip to main content

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us.

“It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.”

Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least.

I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand.

It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the pregnancy, and being told that there had to be something the doctors could do, and listening to people who weren’t shy about spouting off on my situation, I couldn’t bear the thought of exposing my beautifully imperfect baby to insensitive or prying eyes.

We fibbed in the obituary and said that services had already been held. They hadn’t, of course, but well-meaning people have a tendency to see and hear what they want to and I didn’t want to tempt fate with those who might mistakenly believe that the term “private” did not apply to them.

It wasn’t out of meanness or spite that we closed the funeral to everyone outside of our immediate family and closest friends. Rather, it was out of self-preservation. We’d been judged by the court of public opinion for months and were entitled to a respite. It was probably the first time in my life that I didn’t feel guilty about setting boundaries.

There were people who were put off by our decision, but it was the best thing Scott and I could have done. Mourning in the company of relative strangers would have inhibited our ability to absorb the healing energy that a funeral rite is meant to provide.

Anna’s intimate funeral gave us—natural introverts that we are—space and permission to fall to pieces. It enabled us to stop worrying about what people might think and give in to our grief. 

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Hate Relationship with Teaching

I have a confession to make, one that seemingly meets the criteria of a mundane mid-life crisis: I love what I do, but I hate my job. I’m a kindergarten teacher by trade. I adore children—always have, always will—and have a natural affinity for the littlest learners. I enjoy watching their growth across a school year, the way they come in green and fresh as newly planted seeds at the start, and leave my classroom as saplings stretching toward the infinite sky of knowledge and understanding. I hate the metrics that are used to define my students’ performance (and my own). I loathe the over-reliance on a narrow band of assessment measures that ignores the intangibles of student growth and extinguishes the joy of learning. I resent seeing children reduced to numbers on a grid in the name of data-based decision-making. I cherish the time I spend with my students in the Zone of Proximal Development. I thrive on the everyday teachable moments that enable me to coach into my stud

Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

I’ve been nursing a lingering cough since before Christmas. At first I didn’t think too much of it. I’d caught the upper respiratory virus that circulated through my kindergarten classroom, but after suffering through a few feverish nights and a week of congestion, all that remained was a mild residual cough. It stayed with me through the holidays. By mid-January my patience was waning. Any attempt at physical exertion left me winded, which hampered my daily exercise habit, which increased my stress level, which made me reach for comfort food...you get the picture. I found myself shivering in the evenings, unable to get warm enough, which was unusual for my hot-flashy self. Yes it was colder than normal outside, but I was chilled to the bone. Until I went to bed, at which point I started sweating like Frosty in a greenhouse. My frustration came to a head last weekend. Tired of being tired and sick, I dragged myself to Urgent Care. The doctor thought my lungs sounded clear,