Skip to main content

Giving in to Grief

Grief has a long shelf life. It lurks at the back of the mental pantry, pungent and putrid, flavoring everything around it. Years after a deep loss, it retains its potency and—at expected and unexpected moments—seeps out of its container in a toxic spill.

I’ve learned to accept the grief I carry as part of who I am. I do not make a habit of wallowing in it, but when it leaks into my daily life, I’m forced to bring it to light and air it out before I can force it back into confinement.

October is, for me, the month when the barrel of grief is tapped. Anna’s birthday is an expected catalyst. Every October, I cycle through the beautiful, terrible memories of birthing and burying my baby.

My teen-aged daughter and I are at each other’s throats in the weeks leading up to October 10th, bristling at real and imagined offenses and jabbing at each other in verbal sparring matches. Our tongues take leave of our brains in what can only be termed a temporary period of insanity.

My eating habits take a nosedive into junk carbs. Pizza, chips, cookies, frozen custard, and chocolate are standard fair, washed down with salted caramel mochas, pumpkin spice lattes, and the occasional hard cider. The sugar rush is neither healthy nor optimal for my waistline, but it offers short-term comfort on a roller coaster ride of emotion.

I blow off scheduled workouts, too tired to push myself any further than is absolutely necessary. I crawl into bed before nine, craving the quiet warmth and solitude that only sleep can provide. I stop reading, save for the daily news, and struggle to keep my mind focused on the present moment.

I cry in the car on the way to work. I double-check the math with a calculator when I pay bills and still wind up making costly errors. I’m perpetually distracted, straddling a bridge across the life I used to know, the reality I expected, and the one I actually ended up with.

My method for enduring the disquieting month of October is simply to honor the gnawing impulses of grief. I listen to the voice within that shrieks, “Stop! Be still!” and withdraw from the world at large. I hunker down at home and tend my sorrow.

I don’t commit to anything beyond essential events like grocery shopping and family time. I take the time to sit with my memories. I let sorrow steamroll over me and relax into the pull of dark emotion, no matter how painful it is in the moment.

Grief is a lot like joy—intense in its power and fleeting in its duration. It passes, though not always as quickly as we’d like.

It is this truth that I cling to in October; that the piercing agony of grief will pass. And eventually it always does. 

Popular posts from this blog

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the

My Love-Hate Relationship with Teaching

I have a confession to make, one that seemingly meets the criteria of a mundane mid-life crisis: I love what I do, but I hate my job. I’m a kindergarten teacher by trade. I adore children—always have, always will—and have a natural affinity for the littlest learners. I enjoy watching their growth across a school year, the way they come in green and fresh as newly planted seeds at the start, and leave my classroom as saplings stretching toward the infinite sky of knowledge and understanding. I hate the metrics that are used to define my students’ performance (and my own). I loathe the over-reliance on a narrow band of assessment measures that ignores the intangibles of student growth and extinguishes the joy of learning. I resent seeing children reduced to numbers on a grid in the name of data-based decision-making. I cherish the time I spend with my students in the Zone of Proximal Development. I thrive on the everyday teachable moments that enable me to coach into my stud

Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop

I’ve been nursing a lingering cough since before Christmas. At first I didn’t think too much of it. I’d caught the upper respiratory virus that circulated through my kindergarten classroom, but after suffering through a few feverish nights and a week of congestion, all that remained was a mild residual cough. It stayed with me through the holidays. By mid-January my patience was waning. Any attempt at physical exertion left me winded, which hampered my daily exercise habit, which increased my stress level, which made me reach for comfort food...you get the picture. I found myself shivering in the evenings, unable to get warm enough, which was unusual for my hot-flashy self. Yes it was colder than normal outside, but I was chilled to the bone. Until I went to bed, at which point I started sweating like Frosty in a greenhouse. My frustration came to a head last weekend. Tired of being tired and sick, I dragged myself to Urgent Care. The doctor thought my lungs sounded clear,