Skip to main content

Gifts of Spirit

Our 2006 Christmas photo, two months after Anna's death.
One of the hardest parts of losing a baby is the wondering. A stream of questions without discernible answers emerges in the wake of loss. Who would this child be? What would he or she be like? What parts of family temperaments would have merged to create his or hers? What would family life be like if this little member had lived? Which of this child’s interests and talents would we be supporting as parents? And, conversely, which of his or her quirks would be driving us berserk?

These are the questions that creep up on me in the middle of ordinary days and haunt me in the dead of night. When I lost my youngest daughter, I lost any semblance of the future I’d planned. My sugar-candy former life dissolved into a murky puddle of grit, gratitude, and grief. What appears clear on the surface—even now, years later—is muddied and dark at its depths.

One of the ways I cope with sadness is by imagining what life would be with Anna in it; not wallowing in the past, but contemplating who she might be at this point in her life. These wistful daydreams honor her spirit in myriad ways—they enable me to continue to acknowledge her brief presence in the world, to affirm the value of her life, and ensure that she is remembered fondly by her family.

My imaginings of Anna are translated into concrete form  through various investments of time and treasure in ventures that support children and families. Over the years, I’ve cultivated a habit of giving the holiday gifts I would have bought for Anna to charitable organizations that get them into the hands of actual flesh-and-blood children. I always shop for the little girl that Anna would be in this moment in time. Sammy usually goes with me to help me pick out exactly what Anna would have wanted, she being the closer-in-age expert on Anna’s tastes.

We’ve purchased the frilly pastel dresses that would have appealed to her inner princess diva. We’ve wrapped the dolls that she would have cradled in her arms. We’ve boxed up the books she would have loved to listen to, over and over again. One year, we bought the matching big sister and little sister pajamas that Sammy coveted, packaging the little sister-sized set for a stranger.

Though each of these shopping excursions pours a measure of salt in a still-open wound, my continued compulsion to provide gifts for Anna seems to somehow be a necessary step in my healing process. With each box I wrap, I weep not only with an ache for the baby I buried, but also for the young recipient and her family, who are suffering their own sorrows.


Every time I hand off a present meant for Anna, I give away a piece of my beautifully broken daughter in a way that keeps the tiny flicker of her spirit alive in this world.

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the