Skip to main content

The Curse of Expectation

I had a disappointment last week. I’d submitted my book to an indie writing contest and the winners were to be notified by Thursday. I didn’t get the notification.

It’s not that I expected to win. Wait, scratch that. My disappointment indicates that indeed, on some level, I did expect some kind of recognition. Maybe I wasn’t expecting to take the grand prize, but I was hoping for at least an honorable mention.

Acknowledging that was the first step in being able to let it go. Once I recognized my expectations as a cry for validation, I saw them clearly as a self-imposed burden of proof meant to silence the inner critic who keeps raising doubts about my writing talents. My disappointment wasn’t about the quality of my work—it was about my need to prove myself.

What I am learning—slowly, painfully, and inevitably the hard way—is that disappointment is an inside job, rooted in my expectation of how the events in my life are supposed to turn out. I keep slapping my preconceived mental notion of how life should be onto the actual outcome, imagining what should be rather than fully appreciating what is.

The letters printed in advice columns suggest that there are a lot of individuals out there who suffer a similar affliction. I suspect that most of our gripes could be quieted if only we realized that our desire to control situations or people is the predominant cause of our disappointment.

Holding others to our own arbitrary standards leads to recrimination when they fall short of our expectations. Unfortunately, over time this tendency can become something of a pattern, creating a cycle of perpetual disappointment.

The chronically disgruntled judge other people harshly, dismissing their efforts and actions as sub-par. Whether realistic or unrealistic, their unmet expectations are the source of their misery. Sadly, when disappointment becomes a way of life, relationships suffer.

There are two distinct ways of dealing with someone who complains about your efforts (or, more accurately, their perception of your efforts) on a regular basis. You either keep trying to please and appease them, while growing ever more resentful that they can’t accept your actions as the best you have to offer, or you stop trying and let the chips fall where they may.

Our expectations for how our friends and family members should respond to us or how situations in our lives should turn out limit our ability to be grateful for the blessings that are already there.

It’s no coincidence that a key element of mindfulness is being present in the moment, which means embracing what is, not longing for what could or should be. The closer I stay to the moment at hand, the less opportunity there is to hold an expectation for it.

The more I relax my expectations, the easier it is for me to accept other people exactly as they are, to receive their efforts with an open heart. And that, of course, is the pathway to peace.  

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the