Skip to main content

The Best Gift of the Season

Loss takes many forms--the loss of a job, the loss of health, the loss of a loved one. Every year, we are reminded that the holidays magnify loss. Yet as we approach the holiday season, much as we’d like to provide support, many of us wrestle with how to reach out to a grieving friend or family member.

We imagine that by acknowledging their pain, we'll somehow reopen the wound or destroy a mourner's fragile peace. We're afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing, or worse yet, being rebuffed for our efforts.

It's not as difficult as it seems to provide support to someone who is suffering. All it takes is the willingness to put ourselves in their shoes. Thoughtful consideration of how we would want to be treated if we were in their position enables us to plan a course of action.

If I were living with chronic, life-altering illness or injury, would I feel up to steaming full speed ahead into the usual hustle and bustle of the holidays? How would I reconcile my inability to muster energy or strength with the fuss of holiday cooking, baking, and decking the halls?

If I were undergoing medical treatments that left me nauseous and fatigued—if strong smells made me gag and naps were not a luxury, but a necessity—would I be up to traveling to and partaking in the traditional holiday feasts?

If my economic status was compromised, would I want to participate in family gift exchanges with specified expenditures? How would my limited purchasing power impact my level of festivity?

If I'd buried a child or struggled with infertility, how would I endure child-centered family celebrations? What would it feel like to be the elephant in a roomful of relatives blathering on in their annual brag-fest about their offspring?

If I were newly widowed, would I want to be excluded from the New Year's Eve party my spouse and I had always attended with our coupled friends? Or would I rather be invited, knowing that if I chose to decline, my friends would understand?

It's so easy to get bogged down in rigid expectations for the holidays. Our desire to adhere to tradition can place an undue burden on those who grieve the loss of someone or something important to them.

The greatest gift we can give to those who mourn is empathy. We can ask them how they're doing, and pause long enough to actually listen to the answer. Instead of responding with pious platitudes, we can validate their very real feelings.

If someone is sick or struggling with sorrow, we can honor their experience. We can recognize the limits of their capacity to cope with crowds and holiday stress, and accept what they’re able to give us as the best they have to offer, without judgment or recrimination.

We can notice when they've hit their limit at family gatherings, and provide them with an escape route. We can offer a hug, or invite them on a long walk, or provide quiet space for a snooze. We can tolerate even repeated rejection of our invitations without taking it personally.

We can ask if they'd like us to help with the cooking or wrap some of the presents, or in a radical show of solidarity, suggest that this year we scrap all of the trimmings and trappings and do something that's completely outside of our holiday box, like take-out Chinese and a late-night drive through an over-lit neighborhood.


Kindness and compassion are always in fashion. A little empathy goes a long way toward making the season brighter, or at least a bit easier to bear.

Popular posts from this blog

Pennies from Heaven

“Pennies from heaven” is a phenomenon oft-referenced by advice columnists in their discussions of grief. It is not uncommon for the bereaved to find pennies that seem to have been sent from their deceased loved ones. I never gave much thought to the origins of the coins I found at my feet. I’d occasionally come across a penny—find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck!—but I never considered that they could have come from anywhere more remote than someone’s faulty pocket. That changed after Anna’s death. A few weeks after her funeral, I found a dime on the garage floor. I found another one in a parking lot…and then another one in my bedroom. Dimes were popping up all over the place, seemingly out of nowhere. At first, I figured it was random, just a weird coincidence that I was pocketing ten cents on such a regular basis. It took me a while to connect the dots between the specific denomination of the coin and Anna’s birth date, October 10. Might it be som

Letting Go

My mother is a firm believer in rummage sales. Throughout my childhood I was encouraged to go on an annual purge of my toy collection, to cull the items that I’d held onto mostly out of the comfort of familiarity and send them off to a new home. I was an anxious child and this task always pushed me to my limits. I was never quite ready to let go and even the promise of jingling coins adding up in my piggy bank was not enough to loosen my grip on the long-forgotten and ignored items in my toy box. As I got older, though, I began to see the wisdom and beauty in it. When you release something that no longer works for you, you free yourself from the burden of unnecessary clutter, and bless someone else with your bounty. The older I got, the more easily I handed off unworn clothing, uncomfortable shoes, and outgrown home décor. This release did not extend to my relationships, however. I held on long past revelations of irreconcilable flaws of character, kept a firm grasp even i

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the