Skip to main content

The End of the Road

I love to run. Or I used to. In the past five years, body has gone from expressing mild resistance to running to flat out refusal. Injury, pain, and general malaise would be the three top descriptors of my post-cancer running career.

I’d built my identity around my status as a runner and, even as my relationship with the sport soured, I held onto the hope that with enough time/training/nutrition/motivation my post-cancer body would return to pre-cancer performance.

I had never been a run-every-day-to-keep-a-streak-going kind of runner, but I loved the endorphin high of a good run. I had never been fast, but I did track my distance, pace, and race times religiously, comparing current race pace to prior runs and rejoicing with each new personal record.

I celebrated every incremental increase in mileage, owned more than my share of training magazines and manuals, and had at least one race-like event scheduled for almost every month of the year.

I ran solo for stress relief. I ran with my canine friends for the sheer joy of it. I ran with other women for the camaraderie of a group of like-minded health conscious people. But mostly, I ran for the continual hope of being better, stronger, and faster than I’d been a week, a month, a year earlier.

I ran through pregnancy. I ran through a lumpectomy, a mastectomy, and breast reconstruction. I ran through the death of my daughter. I ran through my recurrence—through the post-op infection, every single round of chemo, and even through the seven long weeks of radiation during which I was forbidden to wear a bra so as to preserve the tattered remains of skin that flapped under my arm with each foot strike.

I ran through fatigue. I ran through pain. I ran through grief. Running was my magic pill, the fountain of my seemingly boundless energy. Running made me feel invincible. Running kept me sane.

I was probably over-invested in the sport, given the fact that my finishing times put me in the bottom third of any given race field. However, I didn’t run for speed or glory. I ran because I thrived on the thrill of setting a new goal and penciling a training table into my day planner, knowing that with determination and hard work, I could achieve it.

My devotion to my running habit was part ritual, part religion. It defined me. Everyone knew I was a runner. I wore the mantle with pride.

Maybe it was pride that led to my fall from running’s grace. Less than one month after my final chemo session, I finished a 5K race. A month after that, I completed a 15K. I was still congratulating myself on my speedy cancer recovery when I started radiation the following week.

Not wanting to take any time off from work, I did radiation on my lunch hour, racing to the hospital and back in less than an hour’s time. I finished up my afternoons on the job, and then went home to round out the day with my husband and daughter. I was tired—beyond tired.

I should have rested, but radiation created its own layer of stress, which could only be put to bed with a good hard run. I kept pushing, despite my exhaustion. I did not want to yield any of my hard-fought progress to the ghost of cancer.

I started tamoxifen shortly thereafter and the side effects slowly crept up on me, encroaching upon my goals. I decided to train for a marathon, with the hope that this new training goal would reinvigorate me and kick-start my running habit, which had begun to feel uncomfortably forced.

I slogged through the training and finished the marathon. Since I’d already put the hours into increasing my mileage, I took advantage of my well-conditioned heart and lungs and signed up for a few more half-marathons to maximize the maintenance of my endurance. With each one, I was slower. My lungs burned with the effort, but my legs were leaden.

I could no longer keep pace with my running buddies. I was perpetually winded and struggling to catch up. I described the dip in performance to my oncologist. She was not only familiar with the symptoms; she was well-versed in the cause. “Over time, tamoxifen can cause chronic fatigue,” she explained.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my desire to return my running to its former glory, to once again be able to keep up with my peers was a driving force in my decision to drop the drug. I quit swallowing my daily dose and running did get easier—but not as easy as I remembered it had been in my pre-treatment life.

I had an urge to train for another marathon, but I knew that to do it in the state of my current body I would have to add planned walk breaks. I floated the idea to my running buddies, but their reception of the suggestion was chilly. They’d been so patient with my physical limitations throughout treatment that it didn’t seem fair for me to make any more demands.

I abandoned my marathon aspirations and limped along, still trying to keep up, but questioning more and more the selfish motives behind my break-up with tamoxifen. I’d quit a medication that was integral to my treatment plan mostly because its side effects were having a negative impact on my performance? Maybe running wasn’t keeping me as sane as I’d thought.

My training partners seemed somewhat surprised when I abruptly announced that I was going back to the evil med. I started taking my half-dose and within a month or two, found myself right back where I’d started, sucking wind and cursing my body as my friends breezed on with ease.


It was only then that I realized that it wasn’t fair to hold myself to standards set for the body I used to inhabit. The cure for my performance woes would require a drastic course correction. I set a new goal—to run-walk a marathon at a comfortable pace—and, in deference to it, dropped out of my training group.

I lost touch with my running buddies pretty swiftly. The end of our kinship wasn’t particularly surprising, given the superficiality of the tie that bound us. Our relationships were rooted in our shared love of sport. Without the run, there was no friendship to speak of.

At first, I missed the support of spending long miles lost in conversation, but the addition of an iPod to my regimen rekindled my passion for the interminable hours on the road. I trained by myself, completing each scheduled run-walk at a pace and intensity that finally fit my body.

In the end, I didn’t complete the marathon—a knee injury at mile 20 sent me hobbling to the aid station for a ride back to the finish line—but I did redeem my athletic career. The trade-off for my ability to go the distance was simply releasing the aspiration of setting any new land speed records along the way.

I still have moments when I miss running, but I’ve come to grips with the fact that it no longer suits me. In those rare moments when I feel sorry for myself and wish that I could still run, I remind myself that my body has carried me through the worst of times. The least I can do to repay that favor is to respect its limitations.

Popular posts from this blog

My Love-Hate Relationship with Teaching

I have a confession to make, one that seemingly meets the criteria of a mundane mid-life crisis: I love what I do, but I hate my job. I’m a kindergarten teacher by trade. I adore children—always have, always will—and have a natural affinity for the littlest learners. I enjoy watching their growth across a school year, the way they come in green and fresh as newly planted seeds at the start, and leave my classroom as saplings stretching toward the infinite sky of knowledge and understanding. I hate the metrics that are used to define my students’ performance (and my own). I loathe the over-reliance on a narrow band of assessment measures that ignores the intangibles of student growth and extinguishes the joy of learning. I resent seeing children reduced to numbers on a grid in the name of data-based decision-making. I cherish the time I spend with my students in the Zone of Proximal Development. I thrive on the everyday teachable moments that enable me to coach into my stud

A Private Funeral

On the day that I buried my infant daughter, I received a card from a distant relative on my husband’s side. I’d call it a sympathy card, but the hand-scrawled message from the sender negated any comfort it was meant to bring to us. “It’s so refreshing to hear of a couple choosing life over abortion.” Refreshing? That’s a word that wouldn’t make my top million descriptors of the experience. Was it excruciating, soul-crushing, and bone-wearying? Yes. Refreshing? Not in the least. I’ve tried, over and over again, to understand what would prompt someone to think such a thing, much less write it in a missive to the bereaved, but I can’t find a reasonable explanation, other than the fact that it’s easy to arm-chair quarterback the lives of people you’ve only met once. It’s easy to judge when you don’t have a vested interest in the case at hand. It was precisely that fact that led us to a private funeral for Anna. After months of being asked if I was going to terminate the

The Tortures of Tamoxifen, Part 2

Though my oncologist was not thrilled with me quitting tamoxifen, she did give me her blessing. “Take a break and see how you feel. Just promise me that you’ll consider starting up again.” I stopped taking the pills and within a few weeks noticed an improvement in my energy level. My hot flashes were less frequent, weight management a bit easier. Running, my favorite leisure activity, stopped feeling like a chore. I couldn’t quite ratchet my pace back up to pre-cancer levels, but I could finally hold my own with my running buddies again. I harbored a small hope that stopping the medicine would put me back into my previous ovaries-still-in-action hormonal state of being. Sadly, aside from one scant period right after I abandoned the drug, my body stayed stubbornly stuck in menopause. My symptoms weren’t nearly as bad as they’d been on tamoxifen, but they were still there, mocking me. I started to have doubts about my decision. The drumbeat of, “What if?” reverberated in my